IRI 2016 Results and Planning

IRI 2016 was a blast.  5254 made it to the semifinals with 3620,  67, and 3683 after playing a crazy 4-match quarterfinals where we narrowly defeated the World Champions. 

The goal for 5254 at IRI was to make shots consistently, after our championship shots were so inconsistent.  During the season,  5254 had two shots- a batter shot from the top of the batter right against the wall,  and an outer works shot.  The batter shot was accomplished by driving the arm with the shooter up into a hard stop,  so that angle was always the same.  The outer works shot was accomplished using a set arm angle and firing from there.  

In practice,  the batter shot was a very difficult angle to hit,  while the outer works shot was not.  As a result,  our batter shot was relatively inconsistent,  so we shot from the Outer Works whenever possible.  Unfortunately,  when we were shooting from the Outer Works,  the arm tended to sag while shooting,  so our shots would miss Hugh and low sometimes.  This made both our shots relatively inconsistent.  And while we were shooting 6-7 times a match,  we were making 3-4 of those shots. 

For IRI we decided we needed one shot that worked,  and that’s all that really mattered.  In addition,  our wheel configuration gave the ball topspin while shooting forward.  This was better than no spin,  and the configuration was better for collecting balls,  but it was not ideal. 

We decided to ditch the fender shot,  only shoot from the Outer Works,  and shoot backwards,  so the ball would have backspin instead. 

In addition,  we decided we needed to have an autonomous shot and a climb to get selected at IRI. 

The results were an incredibly consistent,  albeit blockable Outer Works shot,  and an inconsistent climber and autonomous. In addition,  the while setup was relatively untested,  as we couldn’t make it to an off-season event before IRI.  

As a result,  we were a risky pick,  making 8 shots in some matches and 1 in others.  Our auto hit once during qualifications,  and our climb hit twice.  Luckily, we were on during the right match,  as our final qualifications match was with 3620 and 67, where we together put up a score of 215, including one of the few triple climbs of the qualifications round. 

Our eliminations alliance was absolutely killer in the teleoperated period,  but we rarely made more than one autonomous shot,  and our climbs were difficult to do together. We also had the wild card of 3683 to play a defensive ball starvation game when necessary. 

In the end,  we couldn’t keep up with the scoring firepower of 1114, 195, and 225, and we struggled with the decision of whether to sub in 3683 in semifinals and decided against it as an alliance. 

IRI 2016 was a fun and competitive event,  and we’d like to thank our Alliance partners,  225 (and all the other MAR teams)  for helping provide us with excellent scouting data,  and the host teams for hosting yet another great event. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s